Monday, March 21, 2011

Setting Up a "Work Space"

So, I have been in the construction phase of building my Kayak for about 2 weeks now and made some significant progress.  But I am behind on my step by step updates so I'm back-blogging.

I'd like to describe my work area to you.  Some of you may not care, some of you may, some of you will stop reading right here.  For the rest of you here are some tips on making the most of the space you have available.

First, be sure the kayak will actually fit where you want to build it.  Many Kayaks are well over 15ft long and would take up a considerable amount of space in any one's garage.  This is one reason I choose a 8'6" kayak.  Second, don't work on the ground.  Work on an elevated platform which is adequate for your individual height.  I'm kind of tall so my table would be too high for some people.  Plus working on the floor is a good way to ruin your back and knees and get your kayak dirty.  A piece of 8x4 plywood and two saw horses will be perfect if you want to quickly clear the work area to park a car in your garage.  Finaly, have a good source of light and heavy ventilation.  I don't have electricity in my garage so I am forced to only work while the sun is out or my flashlight battery is charged.  Also, the vapors caused by some epoxies can retard your children if you inhale them.  This is easy enough to avoid with proper ventilation or a respirator mask.

My Garage/Work Space

What else is important for a work space? Well all good "shops" have a music source, a radio, MP3 player, iPod, or any string quartet will do the trick.  A fridge is nice to have as well to stock food and you favorite beverage . . . just remember this could lead to some creative building techniques.  A friend.  I try to keep at least one friend in my garage at all times, they might get cold at night but they can usually be kept happy with the food and beer, uh I mean beverage, in your fridge.  They are also great for pointing out your mistakes after you have done something irreversible.  Like epoxy two left sides of your boat instead of a right and left side.  The final thing you will need is a really cool looking tool that has no purpose at all.  I have a manual drill, why in this day and age would anyone want a manual drill when you have an electric and battery powered drill on the wall next to it? Cause it's cool and people who know stuff will recognize it's cool and you can get more cool points, which do follow you beyond the grave.

That's everything you need to know about setting up your work space, really that's everything.  The rest is up to you to fill it full of old car batteries and cans of motor oil and scrap pieces of fiber glass and lumber which you will never use.

No comments:

Post a Comment