Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm going to build a Kayak.

It's not easy to find things to do in the Columbus IN.  It's even harder when you are a mid twenty something single male engineer in a town run by, well, engineers. So, in an endeavour to make my life have some meaning and keep my sanity without giving into the TV NATION  searched far and wide for the most challenging and unusual DIY project I could.  Well, maybe that's not completely true.  This past summer I lived at a professor's house whilst they were biking about the New England area on tandem bicycles.  When they returned to find their house still in tact but minus a duck they told me about CLC DIY Kayaks. And the seed was planted that I, was going to build a Kayak.

So six months later sitting outside the door to my apartment and taking up the whole landing was a Matunuck stitch and glue Kayak kit.  The Matunuck is what's referred to as a "Surf Kayak".  It's made for the ocean waves and is used for what could be considered the ocean version of white water Kayaking.  I know, there is no ocean in IN.  Not even remotely close.  And I would agree with you.  But, it was the shortest Kayak that I felt safe strapping to the top of my car to take to a local lake or river.

After beginning this project I have been encouraged to blog about it so all my friends can see my progress! I also think they want to see if I will actually end up completing the project or just having the most expensive pile of kindling in the state of IN. I also started this because a "friend" in the state of "Michigan" said "you will never build one of these".  This is to show him that yes, elephants never forget, and yes I am doing it :-)

I'll probably update sporadically so don't check back daily cause you will just be disappointed.  I plan to post about the Major steps I accomplish and what I have learned about this project, myself, and the political structure of my apartment complex as I am sure it will some how become way more involved than I wish for it to.

Enjoy reading!  AND if you are working on a CLC Kayak or want tips on how to stay single by building a Kayak in your garage feel free to e-mail me!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. Can't wait for our weekend of kayak building (and blogging)! :-D

    ReplyDelete